The End of Summer Vacation and Back to Work Confession
Without a doubt the worst part about summer vacations is that eventually you have to come back to work. This is coming from a woman who adores her job, loves coming to work on a daily basis, and is eager to get cracking even on Monday mornings… I just don’t like coming back from vacation.
I’m probably one of those people who’d be just fine not taking a vacation as I like my job so that I never feel that I need a break from it. Speaking of breaks, it’s vacations THAT actually seem to break my stride just when I’m on a roll!
Now, don’t get me wrong, once I’m actually on vacation I relish and luxuriate in the whole experience. I bliss out on the lack of schedule, the white wine at lunch, the ample time with my kids, the trashy novels… it’s just that coming back to work part that’s a little challenging.
So here are my 7 tips to get back into the swing of things now that the kids are back in school and our long Proseco lunches are at an end:
- Try an extra cup of coffee after lunch. I know, I know, we are all trying to cut back on caffeine, but make that your October project. For now, it’s dire straits that you get back into the swing of things, and I tell you, caffeine helps.
- Book lots of meetings. I find if I have a wide open expanse of day in my calendar I’m too temped to see if anyone liked my vacation photos on Instagram. Pack your calendar full.
- When you get home from work, pour yourself a glass of wine. Ok, maybe you don’t normally drink mid week, but you sure did on your holidays, so ease yourself back into work life.
- Keep bonbons in your desk. I never say no to pastries and treats and ice cream and dessert on my holidays so why should I the first week back? Nothing like a little sugar boost to give you a kick in the pants!
- One of the best ways to get rid of jet-lag, reset your clock
- To just feel better all around and more energetic at work, work out.
- And lastly, start booking your next vacation now… seriously.