Our Hotels & The Environment
Accent Inns has a life-long commitment to supporting a sustainable world. We will continually improve our operations by striving to use eco-friendly products and services, while implementing innovative ideas to reduce our footprint on this earth.
As a very bike-friendly hotel chain, each of our five BC hotels offers free bike rentals (which makes for an eco-friendly alternative to driving). We also provide a shuttle service at our Vancouver Airport hotel to help reduce the number of drivers on the road. And wherever possible, we have regularly scheduled deliveries and pick ups to reduce the number of trucks/deliveries coming and going.
Our current environmental initiatives encompass:
- An in-room blue box program for the recycling of plastics, newspaper, and cardboard, plus “back of the house” recycling programs that address glass, bottles, paper, cardboard, etc.
- Permanent soap/shampoo dispensers in all rooms since 2000. We figure we have saved over 13 million tiny plastic bottles from landfills and our oceans by switching to dispensers so long ago
- Energy-efficient lighting in public spaces
- Energy-efficient lighting and low-flow shower heads in all guest rooms
- Environmentally friendly detergent in our commercial laundries
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products, whenever practical (practical means they must clean well)
- Recycled paper for our brochures, rack cards, and guest correspondence; we use recycled office products whenever possible
- Recycling of leftover guest amenities, old furniture, appliances, and linens by donating them to charities
- Filter changes, coil cleaning, thermostat calibration, and damper adjustments in our ongoing maintenance plan
- The Towel Saver Program (guests have the opportunity to reduce energy and detergents required for daily washings)
- LED outdoor Christmas lights
- Installed energy sensors in all rooms in Kelowna and Kamloops
- Using local suppliers whenever possible to reduce our carbon footprint; in fact, we look to align ourselves with suppliers who have a solid environmental program themselves