Top 10 gift ideas from BC this year!
We’ve put together a little list of some of the top gift ideas Accent Inns staff recommend for this holiday season and our friends at Skewed & Reviewed have put together a great video showing their picks for video’s and movies, and we know all about both being that our Burnaby hotel is so close to Electronic Arts (EA), Bridge studios and Vancouver Film Studios. We are so lucky to live here in BC. Our access to gift items is incredible. So whether you live in Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver, Kamloops, Prince George, Williams Lake, Bella Coola, Falkland, Fort St.John or anywhere else in Beautiful BC, you have access to some of the most awesome presents either in your own backyard or just a short distance away.
From the team at Accent Inns:
- Give the gift of a BC holiday – Accent Inns gift cards are a great gift especially for those “hard to buy for” folks. Our CEO Mandy Farmer even suggests that you book the grandparents for a 2 night babysitting sleepover (even one will do!) and take a quick getaway to Vancouver for some shopping, a romantic dinner and perhaps a show. (she has two children so she gets it…)
- Outdoor stuff! Clothing is usually a great option – Sales Manager Helen Wright out of Burnaby suggests a mad bomber hat! (You know the hats with fur on the inside and flaps over the ears…they are in fashion this year), John Espley (author and PR guy) and Mandy suggest outdoor wear such as Icebreaker wool socks (found at Valhalla stores throughout BC). An outdoor enthusiast would be enthused to receive a pair of these high end socks. John also loves the daypacks, backpacks at Robinsons and the tents at Capitol Iron here in Victoria.
- Electronics are of course a big favorite. Anita from Burnaby would love to get an Iphone and a Netbook for Christmas. If you’re a gumpy ole’ dad like me and don’t want to give a child a cell phone, Ipods are a great option! Check out the Skewed & Reviewed Video at the bottom.
- Well you knew it hard to be on the list, Beer, Wine, Spirits and food. Mike from Kelowna thinks local BC wines make a great gift. Of course you can use that Accent Inn gift card for a Kelowna wine tour too! Mandy, on the other hand really likes SaltSpring Island Ale and their really cool “grolsh” bottles of Winter Ale. Homemade Cookies and preserves are always a hit. Perhaps a sweet for your sweet from Purdy’s or Rogers Chocolates or that local handmade chocolate shop in your area.
- Charity – Always remember that some folks really like receiving a card telling them that a charitable donation has been made in their name. There are so many to choose from but pick one that you think will be near and dear to the receivers heart (Examples -Food Banks, Health related, Child and Youth, Homeless and don’t forget your animal/pet charities).
- Books – people of all ages love to receive books and BC has some of the best authors in the world. I found this great website to help you search for BC authors and subjects, ABC Bookworld. Our esteemed founder Terry Farmer has even put out a cook book only available at Accent Inns!
- Kitchen items – ok, ok I know this can be a tricky one. To some aspiring chefs or really great home cooks, Items for the Kitchen can be an awesome gift. If your other half is not so handy in the kitchen a gift of cookware or even a cook book may be taken not as well as you hoped. Anita from our Burnaby hotel is one of those folks that loves Kitchen stuff. “ I want a Kitchenaid mixer which are flying off the shelves cause there sooooo cool!” One related note: Don’t ever give a vacuum cleaner. I can’t think of anytime where that gift would go over well!
- Activities and attractions – Joan from our head office would love to receive a golf package or greens fees. What about a Ski package, river rafting trip or for the family a Butchart gardens or BC Wildlife park pass?
- Sports and event tickets – Sports fans really love receiving ticket packages to their favourite games or teams. It could be for high level teams such as the Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver Canadians, BC Lions and don’t forget our more local teams such as Victoria Salmon Kings, Kelowna Rockets, Highlanders Soccer…the list can go on and on. What about concert or event tickets? Check out popular venues like the Prospera Place in Kelowna, Save-ON Foods Memorial Arena in Victoria, The Rogers arena and Pacific Coliseum. Remember Accent Inns often offers special room rates for out-of town concert goers.
- Arts and crafts – This is something that can be really special. It can be something homemade (by a child, grandchild etc.. is so awesome!) or something from a really cool local gallery or store. Katie in Kamloops loves the Gallery store in the Kamloops art Gallery. BC also has an awesome selection of local cultural works from Aboriginal, Metis and other cultural artists.
Check out the Bonus – Skewed&Reviewed Holiday Gift Guide for 2010. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RrNLS_QHk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]