stay different. stay real.

Border Crossing Requirements

Time to plan that Summer Holiday

So summer is just around the corner and we thought some of our readers may just want to travel across the border. At Accent Inns we find that we have lots of Canadian customers that stay with us at our Victoria or Vancouver hotels as they do the *circle route. We also get to meet lots of guests that have traveled north from our neighbors in the United States, especially the states of Washington, Oregon and California. As cross border travel requirements have been changing over the past few years here’s some contact info that may help you learn more about just what’s required. After all, making your vacation as comfortable and easy as possible is what Accent Inns across BC are all about!

For Canadians:

Although you still require a passport to fly, if you want to drive across the border you only need an enhanced drivers license.  Just make an appointment at your local motor vehicle branch. It’s only $35.00. You can book your appointment on line or phone.  Check out all the information on this link.

If you already have a passport and it is up for renewal, you no longer need to stand in those long line ups and have your pictures notarized.  You just need to fill out the forms and submit your pictures with payment.  You can do this by mail or in person at a local office.  Check out website for details

Remember that if your flying out of Vancouver BC, the Our Vancouver Airport Hotel offers 24 hour free shuttle service to and from the Vancouver International Airport and packages that include free parking!

Accent Inn Vancouver Airport  - Complimentary Airport Shuttle

Accent Inn Vancouver Airport hotel offer Complimentary Airport Shuttle

For our American friends:

Excerpt from the US Customs and Border protection Agency

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, are required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

As of June 1, 2009 all U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 16 and older traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid passport, passport card, Frequent Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST), Enhanced Driver’s License (for residents in states that issue them) or Military ID with travel orders (see below). U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 15 years old or younger may travel with just a copy of their birth certificate, as may teens between the ages of 16-18 if they are part of an adult supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group.

Please visit the Us Customs website for more details and information.

COHO Ferry

The Coho ferry headed to Port Angeles Wash

*The Circle route is an excellent vacation option that suggests you travel between Vancouver BC, Victoria BC, Port Angeles Washington, Seattle Washington and all points in between. Accent Inns offers great circle tour locations such as our Vancouver Airport hotel (just north of the U.S. & Canada border in Richmond B.C.), our Burnaby Hotel and our Victoria hotel. Fantastic ferry service for this route is available from BC Ferries, Blackball ferries (COHO) and Washington State ferries.

**information provided in this article is based on research done by Accent Inns staff. Accent Inns provides no guarantees as to the specific accuracy of this information and recommends you visit the appropriate government resources for updated information before you travel.