We’re all becoming increasingly aware of our environmental responsibilities. The amount of litter we see on the sidewalks has diminished greatly, we recycle at home and now, at least in my town, we separate our food waste so that it can be sustainably processed. But what about when we travel? Do we continue to be as careful or dedicated? (more…)
Posts Tagged ‘Going Green’
I’ve always made it a practice to connect with and attend sessions put on by local “green” groups and companies. I’m always astounded at the things we can do to improve or rather shrink our imprint on this planet. The Vancouver Island Green Scene Association had a great speaker recently. Brian Bury spoke about lighting. The eye opener for me was that he didn’t speak in terms of power savings but rather the issue of light pollution and the damage we are doing to the environment and even ourselves with our tendency to “over illuminate” or by using the wrong spectrum of light. I never knew how many species we are affecting or how even our new “green lighting” technologies may be saving power but creating waste and offering the completely wrong kind of light our bodies require. Yes, apparently we require light. (more…)
We are all trying to be “greener” at home but what about when you travel? Staying in a Hotel like the Accent Inn in Victoria BC can be a real treat but Hotels are often culprits of excessive waste production. Serving thousands of guests a year, it’s hard to provide the amenities that people want and expect without sacrificing the environment. However, hotels can take action to make operations more sustainable, resulting in large-scale waste reduction.
“It’s a family belief that we just don’t waste”, Mandy Farmer, President & CEO of Accent Inns
Green hotel actions include:
- Offer recycle bins throughout the hotel, including in guests’ room
- Provide our guests with reusable items such as ceramic cups for coffee
- Educate our guests so that we don’t wash towels after every use via good signage that express our water saving effort.
- Install low flow showerheads, toilets and faucet aerators
- Use non-toxic cleaners that are natural and biodegradable
- Use soap dispensers instead of individually packaged soap (saves on packaging waste)
- Install energy efficient LED lighting throughout the hotel (LED bulbs use a fraction of the energy and save on costs)
- Use bike racks and employee engagement to encourage ridership by both staff and customers. Biking is one of the best ways to tour and experience a new town
- Educate our staff about sustainability!
So the Accent Inns with our famous blue roofs sincerely believes in being GREEN.